Saturday, March 19, 2022

Working on an Un-Finished Object #5 today!



My Quilting and Sewing Arts Studio 



My Fabric Closet

Here I am in my quilting and sewing arts studio today working on my UFO #5 today.  It's a child's quilt for our Bright Star Quilts for kid's project for my quilt guild.  I had started this quilt top a few years ago when I lived in Tennessee, it was packed away with other unfinished quilts when I moved here to Virginia 2 1/2 yrs. ago.  I just opened the box 2 weeks ago and boy what a delight to find.  I looked in my Fabric Closet and found material that matched some of the blocks, so I pieced them together for the backing and used batting given to me by the guild.  Oh my, I am so glad to be finishing this quilt and to have it go to kids in need is perfect.  

Perfect, because it was started for my quilting group in Tennessee called Bags of Love.  We made quilts for children separated from their parents, so they had something of their own during a stressful time for them. 
pinning the quilt 

The Backing
Here I'm sewing a decorative
stitch over the seam line of the backing to give it strength.  I then pinned a "quilt sandwich" together consisting of the sewn quilt top, batting and the backing. this is getting it ready to be quilted on my Sit down longarm.  Then I outlined each block with stitching before the final Quilting.  I use my ruler to help do the straight stitching around my blocks.   
Quilting Wavy lines to finish the Quilt.
Using a ruler while quilting the straight seams is helpful to get better lines.  I'm finishing the quilting with free motion quilting of wavy lines to give it dimension.  After completing this part of the quilt, I will square it and then apply the binding and a label.  



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading my Blog Posts. I enjoy reading your Comments & feedback. I love hearing from you.