Wednesday, December 5, 2012

My progress on my Christmas Table Runner

Here's the latest progress on my Table Runner. 
                                                                                                      These are the 8 segments I sewed & trimmed into blocks.
I took the scraps and made several 2" triangles

 

 I am finding that I enjoy hand quilting as much as my machine quilting and have applied the backing on with hand stitching.  Remember the Blocks I made - all 8 of them that I squared up for this runner.  I took the leftover triangles and made them into 2" squares.  Since the backing I choose for the runner needed piecing to fit I decded to cut it in half and make a block for the middle.  I took the squares and applied a short piece between each using my 2nd choice for the backing Then I used a 1 1/2" strip for the border on each.  This gave the appearance that they were floating - I like the effect.  Then I sewed the backing fabric to each side.  This made the backing wide enough to cover the top.  In order to keep the middle strip centered I decided to hand baste my backing to the top after sandwiching it between a low loft batting.  I will finish up the hand basting today and then continue to quilt and bind it.  above are pictures of my progress.  Hope you enjoy the creative process.