Saturday, September 14, 2013

A day spent at the Museum of Appalachia in ClintonTN

Today was a beautiful day the temps were in the mid - high 70's, the sun was out and the sky was clear.  Valoriea and I spent the morning at the Farmer's Market in Danville.  I tasted some great Cider and caramel bars while there.  bought myself a couple of small potatoes and acorn squash to eat at home later this week.  I would have picked up a beautiful plant to take home with me but I didn't think it would survive the long hot drive home in my car.  It gets large white flowers that bloom at night & they are very fragrant & gorgeous.  Then we went to Sevierville to look at Clayton Homes by Norris that Valoriea wants to build on her property.  These are prebuilt and very nice.  I could see myself in one of them.  Then we headed over to Clinton TN to the Museum of Appalachia's "Days of the Pioneer" Antique Show.  I was expecting an indoor museum but we were both wowed by the enormity of the place.  It was a large area with original log cabins set amongst the trees.  They had a Civil War Encampment on one side and a Revolutionary War Encampment on the other side.  Many participants were dressed in period clothing and they even had a gun salute by the soldiers.  There were many tents set up with Antique Dealers.  Wow such eye candy for this lover of antiques.  Valoriea's friend Kathleen was at the Old Homestead cabin spinning wool with a hand spinner while her friend Darlene was spinning wool with her spinning wheel.  there was a smaller cabin set up for weaving and even a kettle of Sassafras Tea.  I meandered through the tents admiring the wares offered, quilts and handmade items as well as old antiques, over to the Southern Buffet Shop for lunch, a sandwich of fried bogalona with Tomato and Mayo and old fashioned sweet lemonade.  It tasted good.  After lunch I sat outside listening to the musicians play their banjo's and fiddles and watched as kids and adults square danced.  I enjoyed my time at the museum.   

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading my Blog Posts. I enjoy reading your Comments & feedback. I love hearing from you.